Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Bonnie's Blog #1: Gearing Up!
Greetings from Glencoe, MN! My husband John, our 5 children, and our herd of 80 registered Holsteins reside in this quiet rural town, tucked along the Crow River, just one hour west of Minneapolis. For 20 years, we have been happily raising kids and cows here, while I have also been growing my art business and crafting my skills of a bovine artist. Life is good, and I am truly blessed with the best job in the world! I am honored to be commissioned to paint the new True Type Holstein cow and bull for the Holstein Association, and very excited to begin my work!
After receiving clear direction and complete details of the mission of this project - I am ready to begin. There's no doubt - facing off with a stark white 36" x 48" canvas is intimidating. But having been around cows my entire life, and spending years in a show ring (both watching and participating) I feel ready for the challenge! Although I work in oil paint, each piece begins with a semi-detailed, yet fairly loose charcoal sketch, establishing proportions, structure, etc. I estimate that it will take me several days to create both the cow and bull sketch work. Reflecting back at the previously, but most recent, creation of the True Type cow and bull, I am amazed at the development and changes in our Holstein Breed. The new paintings will not only be a reflection of the high quality dairy animals we see today, but also models of the future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment