Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bonnie's Blog #2: Off and Running!

My work as an artist is now fully engaged in one of the biggest projects of my career!  I embrace this assignment with a great level of respect for the dairy industry, its ideals, standards, and expectations!  Painting the True Type model Holstein cow and bull has been on my 'Want To Do' list for over 20 years, so I do not take this project lightly! 

The last weeks have been spent on the first stage of each painting, the foundation sketch layer.  This is the first stage of creating the new true types.  This is the most important and critical step of the project.  With a single color of paint, Raw Umber, I am sketching the animals, capturing the real essence of what this painting will become.  Bone structure, body conformation and every detail of animals will be captured in this step.  Upon completion of this layer of paint, the animals will already take on a completed look right down to depth of heel,  openness of rib, dairy character, and of course - the perfect fluffy tail switch!  



 The foundation sketches are developing - well, I think beautifully.  Admittedly however, it has been a test.  Realizing that this is the next Miss America (and Mr.) of the cow industry, and that I will be credited as well as critiqued for it, does bring on a load of pressure.  With that being said - please keep in mind that I am being guided by an anonymous committee : )  You will be getting 'peeks' of the work in progress as things develop, and I will continue to blog about the paintings as they progress.

For now....it's back to the easel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment