Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Bonnie's Blog #8: Entering the Final Stages


The memory of painting the new True Type Cow and Bull for the Holstein Association will live on for me long past the completion of the two paintings.  Yesterday, as I reached across the table to get a different brush, my entire pallet of paint slid off my lap and landed upside down on the carpet.  I wiped it up earnestly – but the imprint of a full color pallet is now smeared into the beautiful floral rug where I sit and paint!  Lifting the pallet up off the floor was a funny moment...in my head I knew that there would be paint all over the carpet, but somehow, I had this child-like hope that maybe, magically, none had.  OH well...the only thing worse than that happening, was the hair and lint that was now stuck all over my pallet!

I now enter my final week of painting, and will try to wrap the paintings up in the next 7 or 8 days.  The cow is 98% done, with only minor tweaks remaining.  The bull is in the middle of my final pass of painting, which I call the finish work – going over the highlights and shadows throughout the bone structure and body confirmation, adjusting color as needed in just the right places, and making sure the anatomy is ‘spot on’ with the committee’s wishes.  The commission of these two paintings has been a big journey, a marathon of its own sort.  Nearing the finish is a bittersweet feeling.  Letting go of something you have worked really hard and diligently on – the paintings are now part of me, and I them.  The excitement for me of creating the paintings will soon end – but it is just the beginning for all Holstein enthusiasts and cow lovers who wait with anticipation of what these new paintings will look like.  I am hopeful that expectations will be met, and the goal of creating the new ideal animals will be a triumph. 

For now...I better get back to work! Thanks for reading.

Bonnie

Do you have a question for Bonnie about this project or any of her other work? Post them here and she will answer!


No comments:

Post a Comment